The Laxmi Niwas Palace
Keoladeo National Park
About The Laxmi Niwas Palace
The Laxmi Niwas Palace was commissioned by His Highness Sir Ganga Singh Ji in 1904.
The impetus behind it was two-fold – to provide employment to the townspeople and to create a stately residence worthy of the royal house of Bikaner. His Highness was a man of impeccable taste and supervised the artists, masons and builders personally in their endeavors. Many of the friezes on the palace’s walls, the geometrically perfect symmetry of its outlay, the ornate filigree work and latticed screens may all be attributed to his artistic vision and temperament.
In replicating the grandeur and panoply of the maharajas, we literally went back to photographs from 1937, the time of King George’s visit and the Second Durbar, which was when the Laxmi Niwas Palace was a study in fin de seicle opulence. From authentic chintz to original drapery, objet’d art to Empire furniture, hand-painted walls and gilt-embossed gold paneling, every detail from that halcyon era has been lovingly preserved, within our rooms. However, in none of them have the need for modern conveniences been compromised. Which is what makes the Laxmi Niwas a delight, for curators and holidaymakers alike.